Saturday, May 8, 2010

Sentence of the week


Christopher Hitchens in a Vanity Fair excerpt from Hitch 22: A Memoir, on his friendship with Martin Amis:
My looks by then had in any case declined to the point where only women would go to bed with me.
The photo above is captioned (left to right): Christopher Hitchens, James Fenton, and Martin Amis at Sacré-Coeur, in Paris, 1979.

Two thoughts:

1. Hitchens has eaten more pies over the years than Amis. As has Fenton.

2. Stupidly I had never realised, despite reading many of his books, that Fenton was gay. In this photo the shoulder placement and shoe position say it all. D’oh.

Monitor: Penny Wise

4 comments:

Paul said...

I bear a resemblance to Amis, enough of one to use photographs of him on my Facebook profile without friends noticing. This similarity make me popular at literary festivals as well.

Stephen Stratford said...

I bet you have better teeth.

Paul said...

Worse, I am afraid. But I am taller than him.

Stephen Stratford said...

Aren't we all. If only just, in my case.