Tuesday, January 26, 2010

That’s me in the spotlight

This press release went out today announcing the judges of the 2010 New Zealand Post Book Awards. These are the awards formerly know as the Montanas and before that the Watties.

I was a judge in the last-ever Wattie Book Awards in 1993 and convenor of the first Montanas in 1994. I was a judge again in 1999 and convenor in 2000. Ten years later, I am convenor of the inaugural NZ Post Book Awards. This must be some kind of record.

But that’s enough about me. The new awards have a simplified structure with only four categories – poetry, fiction, illustrated non-fiction and general non-fiction. There will be five finalists in the non-fiction categories, three each in fiction and poetry.

Present company excepted, the judges are a stellar line-up. Every one of us is a published author and two were category winners in the Montana Book Awards. We all have to read the 160 or so entries and select the shortlists – without too much blood on the floor – before the announcement on 22 June. Then we have to choose the winners before the main event on 27 August.

So, no pressure.

5 comments:

Phil said...

Hey - they forgot male nude model in your CV

Stephen Stratford said...

Shh. It was a long time ago. Long before I had children and lost my looks.

homepaddock said...

Congratulations and why the modesty with "present company excepted"?

I was sorting out a bookshelf last week and came across a book with your name as co-author.

Stephen Stratford said...

Not modesty, Home Paddock, just realism. They really are stellar.

But I wonder what that book was with my name on it. There are a few with just mine, and a few as co-author. I bet it's the one called "Safe Sex". (For other readers, it is not a manual.)

homepaddock said...

Yes, that was it. I didn't want to name it in the comment in case it got caught in spam.