Wednesday, April 8, 2009

More Easter music

I couldn’t find a clip of Bootsy Collins’s seminal “1st One 2 The Egg Wins (the human race)” from 1988, but then it’s not really an Easter egg he has in mind – this is far from being the first song about sexual reproduction but is perhaps the only one to feature singing spermatozoa. So it will have to be Parsifal, already.

Many years ago I had Mike Williams – yes, that one – to my house for dinner and it was all going swimmingly until he noticed I had no Wagner in my record (it was many years ago) collection and he got cross with me. Seriously cross, especially when I quoted Rossini’s line, “Wagner has lovely moments but awful quarters of an hour.” Anyway, I’ve since come around to Mike’s way of thinking, at least about Wagner, so here is one of those lovely moments. It isn’t the famous Good Friday music but the last eight minutes of Parsifal from the 1988 Bayreuth production conducted by Giuseppe Sinopoli.

1 comment:

Rose H. said...

Wonderful. Thank you so much.